Thursday 15 August 2013

A visit to Knightshayes Court

So, I'm having a bit of a makeover,  as you may notice! My posts have been a bit spasmodic so far this year as I've had a lot less time due to studying.  I'm going to be making some changes over the next month or so and I hope the blog will begin to reflect that.

Meanwhile,  here's a photo tour of our lovely trip to Devon in July, in glorious weather.  This is the stunning Knightshayes Court. Sorry I can't show inside pics of the house, but if you want to know more click on the link. It is amazing, especially if you're a fan of William Burges' architecture.

The stunning  walled kitchen garden. So  very beautiful - and productive too!

The site is huge!
 The garden ducks were enjoying the sun.

As were the chickens.
  Gorgeous flowers blooming everywhere.

 I  love those little turrets on the walls- very fairytale!

 What about this for a water carrier!

 The geese were on duty- standing to attention!

And this little chap had been munching all the  lettuces!:)

t
 The estate grounds are fabulous -  this is the entrance to the visitor centre.


 I think I was a bit woozly here, sorry, but had to show you such a wonderful entrance!

What a view - you can see why the Heathcote Amory family chose to build here.

 And who's this on the front lawn?

I wouldn't want to mow that  bank!

 
  The formal gardens - incredible.

 Check out that date!

 Can you  see the poor fox being chased by the hounds?!

 This gorgeous pool was simply full of dragonflies.

 What's this creature in the wood?

 
  And how about this noble steed galloping along.


Finally, we were really surprised to see Mr Badger looking for dinner in the bright sunshine!

There is a wonderful animal trail for children (and not really grown ups like me!) to follow through the gardens, with these incredible wicker sculptures.

Knightshayes. It's a magical place.

Tune in soon for part 2 of Devon Delights -  with more gorgeous vistas to behold!x

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jules, I want to live there! The romantic little girl who lives inside me is swooning just now. Thank you so much for sharing this. I so hope to be able to travel to England one day.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely garden or should I say park. So much to see and normally I am not a fan of artificial animals etc but these look so much at home and love them. By the pond with the dragonflies is where I would like to be sitting and enjoying the scenery etc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devon is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful, historic places. Knightshayes Court is amazing. I love the turrets too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking up that flight of steps would turn anyone woozly!

    ReplyDelete

If you have time please leave me a comment. I love to hear what you think.x