Sunday 17 March 2013

'Where the heart is' stitchery design


Thank you lovely peeps who responded to my last post, especially those who shared your own issues over being creative. There were some fantastic comments - and lots of helpful advice too. I've been inspired to 'get on with it, play - and have fun'!

My stitchery class sample project is finished - and it really was fun to do.  The specification I was given was to design a piece with naive stitchery, with applique and patchwork, primarily for beginners.  Well - my idea was to show that by learning just a few simple stitches you can create different effects. There are 2 types of applique, with easy shapes and a really simple patchwork border. (I used the starch method for my fabric applique because I personally love it and feel it's easier for beginners to get a better finish.) I'd love to know what you think!


Here are a few close ups.

 The washing line was my favourite bit !
 There's even a sort of fussy cutting to  include the border on this pretty French General Fabric!

 



Now I hope some people sign up for the class. I'm working on the next design now, having finished the latest assignment for my Open University course (phew!) and using the other side of my brain!


It's slightly warmer here today and I just saw few sprays of tight blackthorn buds waiting to burst into blossom on my walk this afternoon - maybe there will be some springy photo opportunities soon! Hope the sun's shining wherever you are.x

8 comments:

  1. It's charming, Jules, and a great sampler of the available effects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a delightful sampler lots to see and encourage the beginner and accomplished stitcher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jules this is a beautiful sampler and will appeal to any skill level. I think my favorite part is the two tall flowers on either side of the washing line. I really love all the close up pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I especially love the one with the clothesline and French fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Jules! The clothesline is simply charming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best of luck with the OU studies Jules. Your sampler is charming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've achieved the objectives beautifully! Your beginners should have a great and satisfying class.=)

    ReplyDelete

If you have time please leave me a comment. I love to hear what you think.x